The Sarasota Bay Area is one of the nation’s most progressive areas in terms of ecological consciousness. Gulf Coast residents exhibit a high awareness of pollution’s negative impact on the air and water, and to wildlife. Yet few people realize the risks of indoor air pollution!
Consider that homeowners in Sarasota, Bradenton, and the surrounding areas, experience long hot summers, freezing temperatures in winter, and frequent humidity – all of which make it desirable to close the windows and control indoor room temperatures to achieve maximum comfort. Many residents, particularly children and the elderly, may spend up to 90% of their time indoors!
Indoor Air Pollution: Sources
Sources of indoor air pollution include, in part:
- Formaldehyde (particleboard, foam insulation, fabric, carpet, furniture, cabinetry)
- Volatile Organic Compounds (perfumes, hairsprays, air fresheners, cleaning products)
- Tobacco smoke (cigarettes, cigars)
- Asbestos (siding, shingles, insulation, tiles)
- Radon (building materials, soil)
- Carbon monoxide (kerosene heater, gas furnace, fireplace, wood stove)
- Biological contaminants (pets, bedding, dust, wet materials, standing water, humidifiers, mold)
- Pesticides (bug spray used indoors or brought into the home on shoes)
- Smoke from manufacturing facilities or outdoor burning
The EPA’s Health Effect Symptom Reference Chart lists indoor air pollution sources and their related health effects.
Indoor Air Pollution: Health
Often the symptoms caused by indoor air pollution are easy to mistake for symptoms of other health concerns such as allergies, stress, colds and flu. Indoor air pollution often is invisible and odorless, and it is the cumulative effect of long-term exposure that causes health issues such as:
- Rhinitis, nasal congestion
- Epistaxis (nose bleeds)
- Dyspnea (breathing difficulty or painful breathing)
- Pharyngitis (sore throat), Coughing
- Wheezing, worsening asthma
- Severe lung disease
- Conjunctival (eye) irritation, itchy/water eyes
- Rashes, Fever, Chills
- Tachycardia (rapid heartbeat, shortness of breath)
- Headache or dizziness
- Lethargy, fatigue, malaise
- Nausea, vomiting, anorexia
- Myalgia (muscle pain)
- Hearing loss
- Upper Respiratory Congestion
How Wentzel’s Can Improve Indoor Air Quality for You
Active Air Purification
To improve the air quality of your household or business, Wentzel’s installs state-of-the-art technologies for active air purification. Air purification can be extremely beneficial to allergy sufferers and asthmatics. Air purification can reduce and even eliminate airborne bacteria, odors, molds, second-hand tobacco smoke, and more. Our active air purification systems include:
The award winning REME HALO® in-duct air purifier is the next generation of indoor air quality (IAQ) technology and capable of purifying every cubic inch of air that your central air conditioning system reaches.
How it works:
The REME HALO® in-duct air purifier utilizes RGF’s patent-pending Reflective Electro Magnetic Energy technology. Installed into the supply plenum of your existing air conditioning or heating system air ducts, the REME HALO® in-duct air purifier produces Hydro-Peroxide plasma that is distributed through the air handler, through the duct system and into the conditioned living space. Unlike passive air technologies, which need pollutants to pass through the unit for purification or filtration, the REME HALO® in-duct air purifier sweeps through your home actively purifying pollutants at the source. In addition, the charged plasma induces particles to coagulate or stick together making them bigger and easier for your filter to catch. Hydro-Peroxide occur naturally in the earth’s atmosphere and are part of nature’s process of cleaning the air.
• U.S. Military approved for mold reduction in field hospitals.
• U.S. and International Hospital approval for the fight against infectious diseases: 99% reduction of Staph (MRSA).
• Major U.S. city school reports 20% reduction in absenteeism.
• Tested and approved by the Chinese Government for protection against the deadly SARS virus.
• Approved by the USDA, FSIS, and FDA for use in food processing plants. Employed to reduce microbial contamination of food being processed.
• Cruise lines use it as a safety measure against Norwalk Virus outbreaks.
Air Knight® Air Purification
Enjoy odor and germ-free air in your home or office. The Air Knight® Air Purification System is designed to reduce air pollutants, bacteria, mold, odors, VOCs (chemical odors), smoke, and viruses in the air.
The Bio-Fighter® Lightstick is the one of the latest and greatest technologies in germicidal UV systems. Protect your home and your family with the germicidal UV light that has long been used to fight biological contaminants in hospital settings. Germicidal UV light is one of the most effective solutions to combat harmful airborne pathogens in your home. The Bio-Fighter® Lightstick works 24/7 to disinfect the air in your home.
Additional Indoor Air Quality Services
Wentzel’s professional service technicians will evaluate your home for ways to mitigate indoor pollution and provide solutions to keep you and your family safe and healthy! Wentzel’s can help ensure healthy indoor air quality by performing the following services:
Simple Ways to Improve Indoor Air Quality on Your Own
- Sealing windows and doors
- Vacuuming with a good vacuum cleaner with a hepa filter
- Mopping floors
- Manage humidity levels
- Use exhaust fan
- Change your air filter monthly
- Ensure your air filter is at the entrance to the fan coil unit
- Let in fresh air (on days of low pollen/pollution)